Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Bog

I've been meaning to revamp my blog for a while, and now seemed like the perfect time. It's my favorite month of the year, and I'm on the cusp of something both new and awesome.

The past few months have been pretty insane. At the end of May, the company I worked for, 38 Studios, went bankrupt and laid off every single employee. My significant other was soon picked up by another game studio in California, and we hauled ourselves, our five rats, and all of our stuff to the other side of the country. I've since found that being unemployed can be more time-consuming and busy than having a job. My ambition since college has been to work as a concept artist, and as great as my job at 38 Studios was, it wasn't concept art. To have any hope of getting the job I wanted, I needed an entirely new portfolio. So, I got to work on some concepts. I drew musical goblins, sun-burnt elves, walrus monsters, and space pirates. I applied to jobs. I made a new website. I played Guild Wars 2.

I can now happily say that although I'll be continuing to create concept art, I will no longer be doing it from home in a silk robe and pajama pants. I've been offered a year-long contract as a character concept artist at EA...and I'm really, really excited. Even if it means I'll have to start waking up before noon again. I will, however, continue to plug away at my personal work in my free time.

To that end, welcome to my new blog. The ground here is kinda squelchy, and the air is a bit smelly. The plants are carnivorous, and the berries sour. I do tend to ramble on here, but feel free to drown me out and just take in the scenery. I can't promise you'll always like what you see, but it should at least be interesting.



A few of my recent character concepts and sketches.



                                 



ps. I realize that light text on a dark background is difficult to read, as are Old English fonts- but I have a weakness for both. I hope this won't be a huge problem, especially as most people viewing this blog won't be here for the writing. 



No comments: